Dill left the other day to go back to meridian. I wasn’t at all happy but then I realized that in one short week I would be joining Jem at school. Almost everyday I would watch them and hear their laughs from the school grounds and wonder what it would be like to be part of them and share jokes and play games. Now, I don’t need to wonder because I would be there; part of them.
Jem took me to school today and showed me where I was supposed to go. I think Atticus paid him because when we were walking I heard the strange noise of coins bouncing in Jem’s pockets. Jem said I couldn’t go up to him during to school and do the things we would do at home. That truly disappointed me because I thought I could be with Jem all the time. But I guess now I need remember that he has his own friends and he doesn’t want to be seen with me. Later when I was in class, Miss Caroline scolded me. She thought I was lying when I said Atticus was teaching me how to read. She wanted him to stop because it was “interfering with my learning at school.” It’s all Calpurnia’s fault. Whenever I'm in the kitchen and I'm bothering her, shell sit me down and have me copy a verse out of the bible or write out the alphabet. I don’t think I like Miss Caroline that much because she accused me of something I didn’t do. Later at lunch Walter Cunninghams didn’t have lunch and I had to explain to Miss Caroline that he was a Cunningham. She said she had heard enough out of me and then gave me a slap on my hand. That frustrated me so much I ran after Walter at school and shoved his face in the dirt. I'm glad Jem stopped me because I was about to go crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment